Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Birthday Sco-Nuts!

Ooh, ooh, ooh!  I'm so excited!  This month marks the first birthday of Tracy Cooks it Right.  I thought and thought about what I could make to celebrate.  What favorite could I lighten up to share with you?


I have a weakness for buttermilk donuts.  I know just where to go for the densest, sweetest glazed buttermilk donuts in my area.  The sad thing is, I can't bring myself to have this special treat but once or twice a year.  The fat and calories -  oh my!  So for my special celebration I bring you "Buttermilk Sco-nuts."  They are a cross between my beloved buttermilk donuts and scones.  Please enjoy!

And thank you to my special readers out there who stick with me through the thick and THIN of it all!

Buttermilk Sco-nuts

2 cups unbleached flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons stick trans fat free margarine
3/4 to 1 cup lowfat buttermilk

Glaze:
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Coat a large baking pan with nonstick spray or parchment paper and set aside.  Measure flour, sugar. baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg into bowl of food processor.  Pulse until well blended.  Cut margarine into 1/2-inch cubes and add to bowl.  Pulse until mixture is well combined.

Dump flour mixture into medium bowl.  With wooden spoon, stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk plus more if needed, until mixture begins to form a ball.  Using hands, divide into 8 sections.  Form into oblong pieces about 4 by 1 1/2 inches each, place on baking pan, and flatten slightly.

Bake 12 minutes or until sco-nuts begin to brown.  Measure powdered sugar into small bowl.  Heat milk 10 seconds in microwave and stir into sugar along with vanilla.  Spread evenly on tops of sco-nuts and serve.  Makes 8 sco-nuts, 5 points plus for Weight Watchers or 204 calories each.

1 comment: