Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Summer's Over Chowder

I'm the type of cook who makes hot soup on a warm day and  refreshing salad on a cold day.  I forget that it should likely be the other way around.  We are in a season transition right now with some days cool and some days warm.  No matter what, it's perfect weather for chowder.


These days you can find salmon and tuna in foil pouches in addition to cans.  I love the ease of the pouches so I used one here.  Also, in my quest to use less dairy in my recipes, I tried unsweetened almond milk.  It worked perfectly since it is thick and creamy and delicious. 

Salmon Chowder

1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons bacon bits (I used Lightlife Fakin' Bacon Bits)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 russet potatoes (about one pound), peeled and diced
8-ounce bottle clam juice}   or replace with
1/2 cup water                 }           1 1/2 cups any flavor broth
5-ounce foil pouch wild salmon
Dash Tabasco or other hot sauce 
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or nonfat milk
2 tablespoons unbleached flour 
Chopped parsley to garnish, optional

Warm olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat and add onion, bacon bits, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.  Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.  Stir in potatoes, clam juice, and water, or broth, if using.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until potatoes begin to soften.

Crumble salmon into pan and stir in Tabasco.  Simmer 6 more minutes.  In 2-cup measure or small bowl, whisk milk and flour together until smooth.  Slowly stir into pan and again bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes. 

Pour soup into bowls and garnish with parsley, if desired.  Makes 4 2/3 cups, 2 hearty main-dish servings at 11 points plus and 410 calories each, or 4 side-dish servings at 5 points plus and 205 calories each.

Goodbye Summer - Hello Fall !!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I am allergic to seafood, which is a shame, because I adore it! What a lovely dish....I love summer and will MISS it, but I do love a good bowl of soup and fall/winter is the perfect time for it! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thanks for the kind comments. I think some mashed up garbanzo beans instead of the salmon would allow people who don't eat fish to enjoy the chowder, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMmmmmm... I love chowder! Totally trying this one out!

    ReplyDelete