Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yaki-Soba Yum!


Sometimes all it takes is someone mentioning a quick meal idea and I'm off and running.  This past weekend I visited my folks. Sometime during the fun, football, and food, my mother asked if I had tried Yaki-Soba.  Years ago I remember buying these noodles for a recipe, but it was obviously time to try them again.


Yaki-Soba noodles come in a pack of three (one-cup) servings.  This recipe uses two so there will be one left over for another use.  I chose to make my own sauce since there are questionable ingredients like monosodium glutamate (MSG) in the sauce base packets that are included.


Look at all these vegetables!  You can empty your fridge of all the veggie odds and ends accumulating in there - and have a delicious, one-skillet meal.


Yaki-Soba Noodles

1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons chili paste (like Sambal Oelek), or less to lower heat level
1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cornstarch
5 cups assorted chopped vegetables (I used green beans, carrots, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms)
2 (5.6-ounce) packages Yaki-Soba noodles (found near tofu in supermarket)

In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, chili paste, sesame oil, garlic, and cornstarch.  Set aside.

Coat large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray.  Heat to medium high, add vegetables, and stir fry until they are half done, about 5 minutes.  Remove vegetables from pan and off heat, re-spray pan.  Place back on heat and add 1/4 cup water and noodles.  Cook 3 minutes, stirring to break up noodles.

Return vegetables to pan.  Whisk sauce to blend again, and pour into pan.  Stir fry until vegetables are completely cooked  and ingredients are well coated with sauce, about 3 more minutes.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4 (1 1/4-cup) servings with 4 points plus each.  Each serving has 171 calories plus calories for vegetables used.

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! I love colorful dishes! And I LOVE yaki-soba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have one word for this amazing post....that word is: YUM!

    Seriously, that looks amazing! Thanks for posting and your photos are a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete