Friday, October 21, 2011

Bread My Grandmother's Way

This bread recipe has been in my recipe box for years.  It was my grandmother's special recipe, and she passed it down to me.  Like everything I make, I changed it a bit, but I kept her old-time method.


The flavor of this bread improves with time, so make it a day ahead if you can.  With each bite, I have fond memories of my grandmother "Bobbi," and I hope it gives you similar warm feelings.

Grandmother's Autumn Bread

1 cup (about 5 1/2 ounces) dried figs
1 cup (about 5 ounces) pitted dates
1 cup boiling water
1 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Coat 9 by 5-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.  Chop figs and dates and place in small bowl.  Pour boiling water over fruit and set aside.

Stir agave, pumpkin, egg, egg whites, and vanilla together in large mixing bowl.  Drain fruit, reserving liquid, and set aside.  Add baking soda and salt to reserved liquid.  Add flour alternately with liquid to agave mixture, mixing well after each addition.  Fold in fruit and pecans.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake one hour until top springs back when lightly touched.  Makes one  loaf with 16 generous slices, 5 points plus and 200 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment