Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Simple Squash

Nothing warms the cackles of my heart more than the smell of caramelizing squash in the oven on a crisp fall evening.  I know I will soon get to eat what smells so good and that it's good for me.


Using walnut oil will add a second layer of walnut flavor, but don't worry if you don't have it. 

Roasted Butternut Squash

3-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon walnut or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Place parchment paper on large baking sheet for easy cleanup or coat with nonstick spray.  Combine squash, oil, salt, pepper, and walnuts and spread in one layer on baking sheet.  Roast one hour, stirring every 15 minutes, watching carefully at the end so walnuts do not burn.

Remove from oven, taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if desired.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4 (1-cup) servings, 2 points plus and 158 calories each.

2 comments:

  1. This is FAB-U-LOUS! I adore roasted vegetables and what a GREAT idea to use walnut oil! (now I gotta get some)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than some simple roasted squash. I've got some kabocha that came in my CSA that I've been debating what to do with. This may be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete