Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cornball Chicken

When my oldest son recently told me he had a dream about food, I knew I had to hear him out.  This is the fellow who refuses to turn on an oven because it's "too much cooking." (And he's my son?)


Here is my attempt at making his dream a reality.  He described a ball of cornbread encompassing cooked chicken and served with honey to dip it in.  I convinced myself a muffin is similar to a ball.

I opted for a box cornbread mix to simplify the steps.  Have you ever read the ingredients on the cute little supermarket mix that is ready in a "jiffy"?  I could not justify buying it.  Trader Joe's mix came through with ingredients I recognized. 



What's a mother to do but try and make her son's dream come true?  And guess what?  These are great!


Cornball Chicken

12 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 half breasts), cubed
1/2 cup favorite barbecue sauce (storebought is fine)
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola or other mild oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1 15-ounce box cornbread mix (I used Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup honey, for dipping, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Coat 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray; set aside.  In medium bowl, combine chicken with barbecue sauce and set aside.

In mixing bowl, beat egg, oil, applesauce, and milk until well combined.  Add cornbread mix and stir until just combined.  Place about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter in bottom of each muffin cup.  Spoon about 2 tablespoons chicken mixture in center of each cup and cover evenly with remaining batter.

Place pan in oven and bake 16 minutes, until top of muffin springs back when lightly touched and edges begin to turn golden.  Cool 2 minutes in pan before serving.  Makes 12 muffins, 5 points plus and 218 calories each.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious recipes AND points plus equivalents?? You've got a new follower! Can't wait to try out some of your concoctions!

    ReplyDelete