Friday, July 22, 2011

Tartar Sauce

Let me tell you a secret.  At any time, I have a jar of sliced jalapeño peppers in my fridge.  It is amazing how often it comes in handy.  I use the peppers in salads, sandwiches, sauces, and more.  Many times in the past I purchased a fresh jalapeño only to have it go bad before I used it.  No longer.


Tartar sauce used to cause me a great amount of guilt.  I love the flavor with a piece of fish or mixed with tuna in a sandwich.  But the mayonnaise . . . so fattening!  I came up with this recipe that is full of flavor and low in fat so now I enjoy it without worries.  The jarred jalapeños add just the right amount of spice and work beautifully here!
 



Tartar Sauce

3/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon minced jarred jalapeño
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dried minced onion

Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix well.  Refrigerate several hours before serving to blend flavors.  Makes about 16 1-tablespoon servings, 1 point plus and 32 calories each.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the jarred jalapenos! I've never seen them before - I don't think they sell them at our stores here locally. I don't eat fish (allergies), but I know someone who would LOVE this recipe - I'll pass along your blog to her! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete