Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fruit with Flair!

As I try to include more fruit in my daily diet, I choose many fresh options, and I love them all.  Sometimes, something other than "fresh" fruit just sounds good.  With all the beautiful varieties of pears in the market lately, I knew I wanted to roast some.  I picked three large Bosc pears to work with.

Roasted pears are most often considered dessert.  After all, sugar is one of the ingredients, and sweet things are usually saved for dessert.  Mine ended up as a simple side dish as part of an Italian meal.  Then a few days later, I made them again with a fish dinner and they were once again the perfect accompaniment.




Roasted Pears

3 large Bosc pears, not too ripe
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Core pears and cut into quarters but leave skin on.  Sprinkle cut sides with powdered sugar and set aside momentarily.

Melt butter in an oven-proof skillet over medium high heat.  Place pear pieces cut side down in one layer in skillet.  Cook until golden, about 10 minutes, moving the pieces around so all sides get to the heat.

Turn the pears so cut sides are up.  Pour apple cider over them and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon.  Put skillet in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until pears are tender.  Remove pears to a serving dish and pour any syrupy juices remaining in skillet over them.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment