Thursday, January 20, 2011

Retro Weight Watchers

When blogger Mimi of 1972: WW THE RETRO WW EXPERIMENT put out a call for volunteers to make some vintage Weight Watcher recipes, I was in.  After all, I was a Weight Watcher member way back in elementary school when we were required to eat fish 5 times a week and liver once a week.  Heaven forbid!

Since my husband and I enjoy fish occasionally, I asked if I could make a fish recipe.  Mimi sent me an interesting dish called Hawaiian Beachcomber's Salad.  With my husband working from home today, it was the perfect lunch.

A pattern I've noticed with the "retro" Weight Watcher recipes is how unusual they sound and how delicious they taste.  Such was the case in my own experiment.  When I immediately heard, "Mmm, this is good," I knew we had a winner.





Hawaiian Beachcomber's Salad

8 ounces canned tuna
1/2 cup diced celery
2 tablespoons chopped gherkins
1 medium banana, sliced
2 small slices pineapple (canned in own juice), diced - plus 2 tablespoons juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups shredded lettuce

Combine all ingredients except lettuce. Mix thoroughly, and divide evenly into 2 large bowls holding shredded lettuce. Makes 2 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good, but what's gherkins???

    ReplyDelete
  2. gherkins: an inseminated chicken egg past the 4th day of development but not exceeding the 8th day. The perfect moment in time when the egg is so, so, pure it can be chopped in and put into salads.

    ReplyDelete