Monday, June 27, 2011

Lavender!

Saturday is Abundant Harvest day.  I go to a pick up site for my crate of organic produce. I never know what will be in the crate.  I could check the web site ahead and see, but I love the surprise each time.


The lavender was a beautiful addition this week, and right away, I knew what I wanted to cook.  First, I needed to sort through the goodies.  This is the crate I bring home each week:


The white paper in front is the weekly newsletter that tells who grew each item and gives ideas for using unfamiliar fruits and vegetables.  It's like Christmas morning when I lift open the brown paper wrapper and peek inside.  As soon as I see the bounty, my mind begins to picture the fresh and healthy dishes we will eat in the coming week.


I realize not everyone is going to have access to fresh, organic lavender.  You can make this simple chicken dish with just the rosemary or replace the lavender with another fresh herb like thyme.  No fresh herbs on hand?  Substitute dried herbs and use one-third the amount.


 Lavender Chicken

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, or any other type vinegar you have
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh lavender flowers
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4  5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

In small bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken.  Coat baking pan just big enough for chicken pieces to fit in one layer with olive oil spray.  Place chicken in pan and add liquid mixture; turn chicken a few times to coat completely.  Place in refrigerator to marinate 30 minutes or more.

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Bake chicken for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.  Makes 4 servings, 4 points plus and 156 calories each.  Serve with an oven-roasted vegetable like this and some bread for an easy, complete meal.

Note:  Your baking pan should not be larger than the size that holds the chicken.  The honey in the marinade will burn and stick to the pan.

                                       *                                    *                                    *    

Don't forget this week is Simple Summer Solutions over at  Chez Mukweto's.  Go see today's post at Ma Nouvelle Mode for a delicious salmon recipe.



1 comment:

  1. that Lavender dish is just pretty! I will need to just take a week and make one of your recipes a day. also I want that Bread...

    ReplyDelete