Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Santa Fe "Chicken" Sandwich

There is a vegan restaurant in the southern California area called Veggie Grill.  It has creative and delicious food which both meat eaters and vegetarians enjoy.  Each time I go, I must order the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin' sandwich for it's combination of creamy, crunchy, spicy and all around goodness.




Since it's not convenient to drive an hour from home each time I want one of these delightful treats, I had to attempt my own version.  Here is my re-creation of the sandwich.

Santa Fe "Chicken" Sandwich

1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 frozen breaded "chicken" tenders (I used Gardein brand)
4 hamburger buns (I used Sara Lee White Whole Grain Buns)
1/2 medium avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
4 thin slices red onion
4 thick slices tomato
4 lettuce leaves

In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic powder, chipotle pepper powder, sugar, and salt.  Place in refrigerator to allow flavor to develop.

Cook "chicken" tenders according to package directions.  Lay two on bottom half of each bun.  Top with one-fourth sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and lettuce.  Spread 1 tablespoon sauce on top half of each bun and put sandwich together.  There will be leftover sauce to use another time.  Makes 4 sandwiches, 7 points plus each.

Note: These sandwiches can be made with real chicken tenders, of course, but be sure to adjust points plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment