Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cornbread Casserole

When my sister finds a recipe she loves, she sticks with it.  Her Cornbread Casserole is dee-licious!  I recently felt inspired to come up with my own version that would not break the calorie and fat bank.


I was able to cut the fat by more than half with no sacrifice in flavor.  This recipe calls for store-bought cornbread mix.  I recommend you read the ingredient lists and choose one with the "cleanest" sounding ingredients.  I chose the 6.5-ounce package from Betty Crocker.  The method is easy since all you do is combine everything, bake, and enjoy!  (Just don't tell my sister I fiddled with her recipe.)

Cornbread Casserole

1/4 cup butter or trans fat free margarine
3 egg whites
1 (6.5 to 8.5-ounce) package cornbread mix
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream style corn
6 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Coat a 9 by 9 or 11 by 7-inch baking pan with olive oil spray.  In medium microwave safe mixing bowl, melt butter or margarine.  Add all other ingredients and stir until well combined.  Spread in prepared pan and bake 45 minutes until golden brown on top.  Makes 8 servings, 6 points plus for Weight Watchers or 219 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment