Saturday, December 24, 2011

It's a Holiday!

*     *    *     Decadent Day     *     *    *

If Christmas isn't the perfect day for a Decadent Day, then I don't know what is.  I'm sharing a special dessert today that will sweeten your holiday without blowing your calorie budget.


I created this trifle for a guest post at My (Newly)Wed Life, a special blog I love following.  While Ana is away in Brazil, she is featuring a variety of guest bloggers and she selected me as one.  I told a little bit about Tracy Cooks it Right and then enticed Ana's readers with dessert.  I chose the combination of peppermint and chocolate because these flavors epitomize  Christmas to me.


Holiday Trifle

2/3 cup sugar
4 ounces Neufchatel (light cream) cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup chocolate syrup
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 cups nondairy frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used Trader Joe's brand)
8 ounces angel food cake, cubed or torn into bite-size pieces
2 ounces peppermint sticks, crushed (about 1/4 cup)
1 small chocolate like a Dove Miniature, grated

In mixing bowl, beat together sugar, Neufchatel, yogurt, chocolate syrup, and peppermint extract.  Add whipped topping and beat until well combined.

Place one third angel food cake in bottom of trifle or other glass bowl.  Measure one cup chocolate peppermint mixture and pour evenly over cake.  Sprinkle with one third crushed peppermint sticks.  Repeat layers twice, but sprinkle grated chocolate on top layer before final sprinkling of crushed peppermint.

Cover and chill several hours before serving.  Makes 12 servings, 5 points plus for Weight Watchers or 202 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment